Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Work Reviews... Disturbing...

Ok... so normally I laugh at my annual performance reviews. I think I've only Once had my review done by the manager I was under for the entire year and who actually knew what work I was doing.

My first annual review 2003-2004... Well... I was a temp and I think I had like 4-5 managers that year... Hell my first manager I met then he went on vacation for like 2 weeks after I started and then was either fired or he quit... I was never quite clear.

I ended up getting hired on permanent a few months afterwards anyway.

2004-2005 - I think our new manager had just started like a month before my review. and I think I ended up getting a promotion here too... so he really wasn't giving me a review so much as notifying me of my pay increase and making a pretend attempt and being concerned with my career development.

2005-2006 - So despite the fact that I remained under the same manager this whole year... I was working on a special project. which wasn't under him. Sooo he really had no idea What I did. but he did my review anyway... Oh except it ended up being our team lead that gave em anyway. And it really didn't matter anyway because I ended up going on disability and then being moved to a different job when I got back anyway.

2006-2007 - Yay! Finally my actual manager does my review!

2007-2008 - Well... My manager Pei decided to return to Cisco the week before I left on Maternity leave. Sooooo yeah... Now I'm back and it looks like everyone did their self assessments while I was out. And my new manager is on PTO for like a month...

Now for the disturbing part... Through all of this I'd always at least been reviewed by my new managers... You know... the people actually directly above me. This time... Since my manager is on PTO... My Boss's boss... Is doing my review... and not only that... but keep in mind that these have to be approved by the next level up... So Now I'm having my review basically done by my Boss's boss's Boss... I'm not even sure he knows who I am...